News and Announcements
Public Notice: Palmer Project - Applications and State Draft Decisions
On April 16, 2019, the State of Alaska is releasing application documents for the Palmer Project’s exploration activities and the following draft state decisions for a 30-day public review and comment period.
The Palmer Project is undertaking advanced exploration for copper, zinc, gold, and silver located on Alaska Mental Health Trust land in the Porcupine Mining District, 35 miles northwest of Haines, Alaska on the eastern margin of the Saint Elias mountain range in the Glacier Creek drainage. The project applicant, Constantine North Inc., applied for a Waste Management Permit and amendment to Reclamation Plan Approval (J20185690RPA). Further information on how to comment can be found below, in the newspaper Public Notice (PDF) display ad, or on the public notice bulletin on the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation website.
Documents associated with the public review and comment period
(draft permits and approvals, renewal application, and support documents)
Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Division of Mining, Land and Water, draft Reclamation Plan Approval (J20185690RPA) Amendment 1. The supporting document for review is Appendix C Reclamation Plans and Cost Estimates Palmer Advanced Exploration Project Haines, Alaska Phase II – Underground Exploration Upland Mining Lease No. 9100759 April 2019.
Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Division of Water, draft Waste Management Permit No. 2019DB0001 for the containment and disposal of non-domestic wastewater and potentially acid generating waste rock from the Palmer Project.
Support DocumentsAdditional documents submitted by Constantine North Inc. to the State of Alaska in support of project authorizations:
- Waste Management Permit Application
- Attachment 1 to the Waste Management Permit Application
- Attachment 2 to the Waste Management Permit Application
- Attachment 3 to the Waste Management Permit Application
- Appendix A to the Waste Management Permit Application
- Appendix B to the Waste Management Permit Application
- Appendix C to the Waste Management Permit Application
- Appendix D to the Waste Management Permit Application
Written comments on the proposed permit must be submitted within 30 days of the first publication of this public notice or no later than May 15, 2019. Please direct written comments to the attention of Kyle Moselle at the address or email identified below. All comments should include the name, address, and telephone number of the commenter and a concise statement of comment on the permit condition and the relevant facts upon which the comment is based. Comments of either support or concern which are directed at specific, cited permit requirements are appreciated. Comments must be postmarked on or before the expiration date of the public notice.
Deadline for written comments:
May 15, 2019 at 5:00 pm
- AK Dept. Environmental Conservation (DEC)/ Fairbanks (610 University Ave.)
- AK Dept. Environmental Conservation (DEC) / Anchorage (555 Cordova St.)
- AK Dept. Natural Resources (DNR)/ Fairbanks (3700 Airport Way)
- AK Dept. Natural Resources (DNR) / Anchorage (550 W. 7th Ave. 9th Fl.)
Send written comments by mail, email, or fax to:
Kyle Moselle, Associate Director
Alaska Department of Natural Resources / Office of Project Management and Permitting
400 Willoughby Avenue, Suite 400
Juneau, AK 99801
Fax: (907) 465-3886
Email Kyle Moselle
The Palmer Project is a copper-zinc-silver-gold-barite prospect in the advanced exploration stage. The Project is operated by Constantine North Inc. (CNI) and located within the Porcupine Mining District in the Haines Borough. Roads connect the project area to the village of Klukwan, approximately 17 miles to the east, and the coastal town of Haines, approximately 35 miles to the southeast.
The project area consists of 340 federal unpatented lode mining claims, which cover an area of approximately 6,765 acres and 63 state mineral claims that cover an area of approximately 9,200 acres. CNI also holds an upland mining lease from the Alaska Mental Health Trust Authority for approximately 92,000 acres of land surrounding their federal and state claims.
Permits and Authorizations
- Reclamation Plan Approval J20185690RPA
- DNR Multi-year 2014-2018 Miscellaneous Land Use Permit (MLUP) for Hard Rock Exploration & Reclamation (Permit #5690) expires Dec. 31, 2018 (Issued 4/23/2014)
- DNR Temporary Water Use Authorizations (TWUAs):
- DEC Conditional Approval to Discharge Artesian Well Water (Issued 11/6/2017)
Palmer Stage 1 Plan of Operations, April 2018
Palmer Stage 2 Plan of Operations, April 2019
Appendix A: Monitoring Plan – April 2019
Appendix B: Water Management Plan – April 2019
Appendix C: Reclamation Plans and Cost Estimates – April 2019
Appendix D – Baseline Data and Summary Reports
- Appendix A: Monitoring Plan – April 2019
For More Information Contact:
State of Alaska Large Mine Permitting Team
Alaska Department of Natural Resources
Office of Project Management and Permitting
Phone: (907) 465-6849
Fax: (907) 465-3886
P.O. Box 111020
Juneau, AK 99801
400 Willoughby Ave., 4th Floor
Juneau, AK 99801