Skip to content

Warning: Javascript is disabled.
For full functionality and best experience on our site, it is necessary to enable JavaScript.
Here is instructions to enable JavaScript in your web browser

Alaska Department of Natural Resources
Division of Mining, Land and Water
Zinc concentrate spill

Spill Reporting Requirements

Zinc concentrate spill within a DMLW-issued easement (DNR-owned uplands) on Red Dog haul road, milepost 13.2. Photo credit Alaska DEC.
  1. Determine whether a spill must be reported to the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) by going to the DEC spill website. DEC maintains a database of current and past spills. If the spill meets DEC criteria, contact DEC first.

    1. If you suspect a spill is on state land, let DEC know when you submit your spill report. This will streamline coordination between DEC and DNR.

  2. Determine whether a spill must be reported to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) by going to the EPA spill website. If so, report spill to the EPA.
  3. If you have a DNR authorization or hold an Oil Discharge Prevention and Contingency Plan, you may have to report spills not only to DEC, but also to DNR. Contact the appropriate regional SAIL staff to be sure. Here is the DNR regional map.

Back to Top